Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"Healthy" Skin and Hair

I always find it interesting how we talk about healthy hair, getting healthy hair, keeping healthy hair, "I need to do _____ so my hair is healthier". Hair is made up of keratinized dead skin cells. So when we speak of "healthy hair" we are actually talking about the hair that seems and appears less dead. So there is a very good reason we need to get hair cuts, the dead skin cells get to a point where they can no longer pretend to be undead. (Let's leave the obvious zombie/vampire jokes alone for the moment.)
When you completely damage your hair beyond repair the best solution is to cut it off, or keep going till it breaks off on its own (I've seen and done a lot of both). I know a few people that can help you with the haircut. ;)

Don't get me wrong you can use products and do things to keep your hair in its best state as long as possible. I'm just saying it is not the same as taking vitamins or working out your muscles. It is like the difference between working with a daisy plant that is still in soil, a freshly cut daisy, and a daisy that has been dried in a flower press. The live plant can be given nutrients that will help it stay alive and be in the best condition. The freshly cut flower can be kept in water but it will eventually wilt. The dried flower, while pretty, is very brittle and can easily crumble to pieces. Dealing with hair is like dealing with the freshly cut flower that eventually becomes like the dried flower. The brittle end is inevitable.


However skin is a living organ. You can feed your skin what it needs and improve it in a way hair cannot be improved. So why is it that most women (I'm conjecturing based on what I have seen, I have no real statistics) will go to much greater lengths to take care of their hair? Why is it that most people have a daily hair routine that they do not deviate from but skin care seems to be optional? Yes there are many people that faithfully use a skin care routine, but when I talk to people in general I hear more stories of the "soap & water" routine for their skin. Can you imagine taking a bar of soap and quickly wiping it over your hair, rinsing and being done with it? 


We probably get by with ignoring our skin because in many ways it is more forgiving as it keeps replenishing itself. However, I ask you to consider giving your living organ at least the same care you give it's dead byproduct. As you think about this in the upcoming posts I will be talking about how to better take care of your skin, but I will also be discussing how to keep your hair in better condition too... so stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment